Family Settlement Visas

Fiancé Visa

This visa is designed for a non-EU national, who is engaged to be married to a UK national, and for the marriage to take place in the UK. The fiancé visa will allow entry into the UK for 6 months to allow the marriage to take place and for the couple to then submit, in the UK, a spousal visa application. The spousal visa is initially issued for 2.5 years. The visa holder is unable to work in the UK while on the fiancé visa but once the spousal visa is granted he/she can work unrestrictedly in the UK.  The financial requirement and English language requirements are also part of this visa, same as with spousal visa application.

Settlement / Spousal or Civil Partnership Visa

This visa applies if you are a non-EU national and you are married to or in civil partnership with a UK National. If you, as a couple, want to settle in the UK you need to apply under this visa category. The visa will allow you to settle in the UK with your spouse/partner and is initially issued for a period of 2.5 years during which you can work unrestrictedly.  This visa holds a financial threshold requirement depending on family members applying as well as the English Language requirement.

Returning Resident visa

You need a Returning Resident visa to come back to live in the UK if you were previously settled (given ‘indefinite leave to enter or remain’) and you have either:

  • lost your documentation
  • been away for more than 2 years

You don’t need a visa if you have your original documentation confirming your settled status and you’ve been away for less than 2 years.

You may still need to apply for a visa if you’ve been asked to confirm you can travel to the UK, for example by the airline you’re travelling with.


You must:

  • plan to return to live in the UK permanently
  • have been settled in the UK before you last left
  • not have been given public funds to help you leave the UK
If you’ve been away for more than 2 years

You won’t get a Returning Resident visa unless you’re also able to show what exceptional personal circumstances have led to you being out of the country for this long.

You must provide enough evidence to show:

  • your strong family ties to the UK
  • you lived in the UK most of your life
  • your current circumstances and why you’ve lived outside the UK
Immigration UK

Contact us:

Tel: +27 (0)21 403 6423
Tel: +27 (0)72 478 3621

Office Location:

Spaces V&A Waterfront
Dock Road Building
Corner of Dock and Stanley Road
Cape Town, 8001